Monday, November 1, 2010

Mad Men Glasses - Rough Draft


I've finished or at least made progress on a bunch of projects this week, but have had no time to actually document the process. Since I really should be documenting my research in time for the abstract deadline next Wednesday instead, here's a quick sneak preview of the Mad Men glasses. I made a glass that was just for fun as a draft, to test out the painting and baking. Glad I did, since I discovered it takes about 5 coats of the Porcelaine paint in order to make it opaque when backlit. Which makes sense, seeing as it's supposed to be used on ceramic, not glass.

At any rate, I used masking tape to block out the areas I wanted to paint:

As you can see, I'm not very good at coloring inside the lines. Peeling the masking tape off the skinny lines without pulling the paint off the glass was tough, but careful use of a razor blade fixed that. The pic up top is after baking and a trip through the dishwasher - I'd say it looks like a success!

No comments: