Friday, March 18, 2011

Progress report


It's been over a week since I posted my progress, so here it is. I am again actually farther than this, but don't have the pictures.

I gave myself the deadline of the end of March to finish the piecing of the strips, and I think I can make it. The back pieces go much faster - less curve to shape around, and shorter distance to sew. I'm really hoping the wrinkles will go away with a good steaming. This pic looks particularly wrinkly since the last strip is just pinned on, but it shows the process - pin the current pieces back onto Gertrude, then align the next two pieces (one on either side), pin them in place, then remove everything from Gertrude and sew by hand.

Doing everything by hand lets me really be precise about what goes where, and I think it's worth it for the final outcome. I hope! To get around the curves, I had to do a bit of gathering:

The gathering looks really, well, gathered, but I think it'll look more smooth in the final product. A lot of the gathering on the outside edge there went under the next piece - you can see in the top picture that it doesn't look gathered. Also, I think steaming a bit will help - silk can definitely be manipulated into shape with some steam, as I found out when originally pressing the formerly perfectly rectangular strips. Heavy steam and a tailor's ham should do the trick here, I hope!

No comments: