Thursday, December 16, 2010

Making fabric

(via)

Maybe it's because I don't have the time or energy to drive up to San Francisco to fabric shop and am therefore left in the desert of Joann and the occasional Hancock* (fine for quilting cottons, but unfortunately I've learned that quilting cottons are dangerous to sew clothes with). Or maybe it all goes back to the tie-dye and batik classes I took in high school.** At any rate, I'm fascinated by making my own fabric.

* I do actually have the most fabulous silk store on my way home from school, but you can't make everything out of silk, much as I might like to. Besides the expense, silk just doesn't feel like a winter fabric to me.

** Or maybe the need I have to make everything from scratch. To make my own salsa from scratch, I have to not only start with whole tomatoes and peppers etc., but I have to actually grow them. I've been tempted to learn to make cheese so I can make my own pizza from scratch, but then I'd have to start raising cows for milk.

While I usually would just dye fabric to "make" a nice fabric, it's too cold for my staple cottons or silks. And while I probably won't finish this until well into spring, I have a new wintry project planned:

I'm going to attempt to knit some fabric. I read an article in Threads about working with sweater knits, so I'm fairly confident in being able to sew my knitted fabric. The issue is making it. I had a few month knitting fad a year or two ago which ended when I decided I was ready to make a blanket. I cast on the excessively long row, and then never did anything else with it. So I have a ton of this black and white yarn. My knitting skills are nowhere near good enough to actually make a sweater or to do any sort of complicated stitch, but I figure a basic stitch*** will be made more interesting by actually sewing it.

*** Recommended by Leah: the moss stitch. As she says, "of course, it may get cantankerous and bring down your entire locker room, so watch out for that." Oh, Randy.

No comments: