Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pullover Dresses

I'm a little over zippers in dresses right now. It's not about the pain of putting them in. Pants, after all, need a zip to feel finished and not like sweats. But for a dress, you either have a zip up the side, which isn't so comfy, or you need a zip up the back. There's something romantic about having the beau zip me into a fancy dress for a night out, but for a casual, every day dress? How am I supposed to be a lazy student and sleep in if I need him to help me into my clothes? Never mind the lack of independence that just grates.

S0, I'm looking for pullover dress patterns. I don't mind sewing knits, but the local Joann, sadly my only local fabric shopping choice w/o driving up to SF, has no selection. A few solids that are a bit too sheer, so knits are out.

Perusing the big 4, I've found a few options to add to the stash:
The easiest is the shirt-dress: avoid the zip with buttons. Buttons in the front I can do myself, so this will work. Planning on this in a cotton broadcloth in this gorgeous dark turquoise.

Then there's the theme of creating shape with a tie at the waist: Slip-like dress with tied shoulders. I've been eyeing this dress for a while, but couldn't justify theVogue pattern* for the stash. Knowing it's a pullover, I think I'm sold. And it has pockets!

*Since, you know, Vogue is $3.99 on sale, and the others go on sale for $.99 often enough. I'm spoiled by pattern sales, I admit, but I can't justify buying a pattern for more than that unless I actually have a plan to make it.

Another tie at the waist, but now it's a poufed top over a tie waist. I've seen a lot of these recently, which may mean they're in style, but I just don't see it being flattering on me.

Then there's shaping with princess seams, a la the Pendrell. I think this will work a lot better in a blouse than a dress, but I want to see it in person first. Probably requires a very drapey fabric.

And finally, the bias cut. Theoretically, bias cut is really hard to work with. The one time I tried, before I knew it was supposed to be hard, it worked out just fine, so I may try it again. I wouldn't start with a silk or anything like that, but maybe a somewhat stable polyester? It does have its uses...






No comments: