Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Finished! With the part no one will see...


The underlayer of the wedding dress is complete! Every time I walk by I get caught by how much I love the silhouette - that's probably a good thing, huh?


OK, it's only 98% there. The skirt probably needs an iron, but it'll need one soon before the wedding, so that can wait. Then the exposed elastic in the back needs to be finished (probably with bra hooks), but I want to adjust the fit later when I'm the same size I will be for the wedding. I learned my lesson after painstakingly fitting the corset, then losing 10 pounds! Of course, I'm slowly gaining that back, so I'll probably be back there come wedding time. At least the lace-up back gives some fit flexibility. 

The details: The (under) skirt was finished long (a year) ago, so I'll not talk about that. The corset I talked about previously,* but since then I have finally added silk-taffeta bias binding on the top and bottom edges and included eyelets for lacing. The right side of the bias binding is actually on the inside - I figured no one will see the outside once it's covered with the charmeuse stripes. I think the taffeta will give some good strength over the boning, and hopefully the ends won't end up poking through the lighter weight silk. 

* Seriously? That was in November? Oh man do I ever need to get cracking on this thing!

Now I just need to try it on and make sure it fits, though I'm not sure what I'll do if it doesn't. Then it can get relegated to a closet while I use Gertrude** to arrange the woven stripes and hand sew them. I set myself a goal of the end of January to finish the corset, and I only missed by a day, so I'm setting another goal: end of March to have all the stripes assembled. That'll leave May for the skirt (easy peasey, even with a trip to Montreal thrown in there) and June for the halter straps. Doable but I will have to buckle down and work on the dress instead of all my other fun projects!

** the dummy




No comments: