Thursday, October 14, 2010

Corset Dilemmata*



I tried on the corset muslin for the wedding dress for the first time in months, after I lost about 10 lbs. Now it's a wee bit too big, and I'm not quire sure what to do. When it's tied to the appropriate tightness, the V in the back is totally gone. What I want is something more like the green lines, to mirror the V in the front and just in general go with the whole geometric whatnot.

So do I redo the corset pattern yet again? That sounds like a giant pain, and then what happens if I gain the weight back? Or I can always just tie it looser, which would be good for the breathing and all. The front at the cleavage is a bit too loose then though - maybe I can add an elastic bra-strap type thing?

I am thinking of having the corset and the ombre overlay not actually tie together. This way, I can make the corset, make sure it fits, tie it as tightly as needed, and not pull at the silk overlay. I'm not sure if I'll use the metal grommets or fabric loops on the silk. If I do use grommets, it's probably better to not have the grommets all on top of each other, just for bulk. So maybe I keep the fit as is.

The other question is what fabric to use. For a shaping corset, you want a nice stiff fabric, so it shapes you. Now, I'm pretty happy with my shape, and prefer to be able to breathe over being shaped. I bought some silk taffeta remnants from Thai Silks that I was planning to use, but now I'm thinking those might not be so breathable.** So maybe I just use some Habotai silk? It will definitely breathe, and feel really nice on the skin. Maybe a couple layers for strength? Then I can also encase the bones fully. I just need to remember to starch the silk for body while I'm working with it, and probably pre-wash so it can get the starch rinsed out after. Can I wash it with the bones in? Will spiral steel boning rust or something?


* I do love a word with a fun plural.

** Both in terms of air getting through the fabric and in terms of me being able to breathe.

No comments: