Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Herve Leroux/Leger


Normally, the clothes on American's Next Top Model are fun but so very unwearable. The Herve Leroux* dresses from the runway challenge from last week were an exception. Not all were quite wearable for someone without a model's body, but they were all gorgeous, and I think I can take inspiration from them.

I read up a little on him while I was investigating why he changed his name. Apparently, his dresses are all very body shaping - think really pretty spanx. So I don't think that's part of what I'll be emulating. Still, the way he uses color is very like what I'm doing for the wedding dress**, so obviously I love it.

One lesson I have learned though - if I make a dress based on the one pictured here, I will not do it in gray, unless I get some better dyes. Dying shades of gray and having them all keep the same hue is incredibly difficult. I used RIT dye, because it's easy to go buy at Joann, and I mixed up a pretty good silver/gray color. But, when I make it more concentrated, it's too red, and at weaker concentrations, too blue and even too yellow when it's really light. Much easier to stick with a single color like blue. Blue is also more forgiving because different hues of blue look decent together.

More Herve whoever pictures on my tumblr, gardenoffenway.tumblr.com. This is the first time in a while I've been so inspired by so many things from the same designer:)


* Formerly Herve Leger, but he apparently sold off the rights to his own name. Oops.

** Apparently that effect is called "ombre." Now I can be all sophisticated when I describe the design of the wedding dress!

No comments: